In 1680, Mac Cuu (1655 - 1735) with hiscompany travelled from Zuangdong, China to Ha Tien by boat and settled there for land reclaimation. Tran Giang (fist name of Can Tho) was discovered by Nguyen Cu Trinh (1716 - 1767), a legate under Lord Vo Vuong Nguyen Xuan Khoat who came and worked with Mac Thien Tich (1718 - 1780), Mac Cuu's son. On 01 January, 1868, South Vietnam governor decided to merge Phong Phu county (Tran Giang - Can Tho) and Bai Sao (Soc Trang) and formed one district with the head office in Sa Dec. On 30 April 1872, the governor decided to merge Phong Phu and Bac Trang and form one county with the head office in Tra On. And one year later, Head office Tra On was removed to Cai Rang (Can Tho). On 23 February 1876, Saigon governor gave a decision to merge Phong Phu county with a part of An Xuyen and Tan Thanh to form Can Tho county with Can Tho capital (Tan An village, old Phong Phu county). Since then, Can Tho came into the map of Vietnam. In December 1991, the Assembly of Socialist Republic of Vietnam announced a decree to split Hau Giang province into two provinces Can Tho and Soc Trang. So, in early 1992, Can Tho came back to its hundred-years-old name. On the 1 of January 2004, Can Tho province was reformed Can Tho city and Hau Giang province.